Inverclyde carers centre - complaints policy

Inverclyde Carers Centre is committed to providing high quality information, support and advice to Carers. We understand, however, that sometimes things go wrong. If something does go wrong, or if you are dissatisfied with something that we have done, or have not done, please tell us and we will do our best to put things right. If we cannot resolve matters in the way you want, we will explain why it is not possible to do as you suggest.

What is a complaint?

We regard a complaint as ‘An expression of dissatisfaction by one or more members of the public about our organisation’s action or lack of action, or about the standard of service provided’.

Who can complain?

Anyone can make a complaint to us. You can complain directly to us, or if you would rather have someone make the complaint on your behalf, we can deal with your representative, where we have your express permission.

What can’t I complain about?

There are some things we cannot deal with through our complaints handling procedure. These include:

  • matters relating to services not provided by us;
  • a previously concluded complaint or a request to have a complaint reconsidered where we have already given our final decision;
  • a complaint about which you have commenced legal proceedings, or have clearly stated that you intend to do so, rather than pursue the matter using our complaints procedure;

How do I complain?

You can make your complaint by e-mail to, by telephone (01475 735180) or in person to our office where a complaints form is available.

It is easier for us to resolve complaints if you make them quickly and directly to us. Staff will always try to resolve any problems on the spot if it is possible to do so.

When complaining, please tell us:

  • your full name and address, and your email address if this is your preferred method of contact;
  • as much as you can about the complaint;
  • what has gone wrong;
  • when and where this happened;
  • how you want us to resolve the matter.

How long do I have to make a complaint?

Normally you must make your complaint within six months of the event you want to complain about. In exceptional circumstances, we may be able to accept a complaint after the time limit. If you feel that the time limit should not apply to your complaint, please tell us why.

Complaints Procedure

Our complaints procedure has two stages:

Stage 1 – informal frontline resolution

We aim to resolve complaints quickly. Where appropriate, this could mean an on-the-spot apology and explanation if something has clearly gone wrong and immediate action to resolve the problem. Sometimes we will have to make some enquiries before we can respond to your complaint. We will give you our decision within five working days or less, unless there are exceptional circumstances.

If we cannot resolve your complaint at this stage, we will explain why and might suggest that you take your complaint to stage two.

Stage 2 – formal investigation

Stage two deals with two types of complaint, those that have not been resolved at stage one or are complex and require detailed investigation.

When using stage two we will:

  • acknowledge receipt of your complaint within ten working days and inform you who will be dealing with your complaint;
  • where appropriate, discuss your complaint with you to understand why you remain dissatisfied and what outcome you are looking for; and
  • give you a full response to the complaint as soon as possible and within 20 working days.


If our investigation is likely to take longer than 20 working days, we will agree revised time limits with you and keep you updated on progress.

What if I’m still dissatisfied?

If you are still dissatisfied with our decision or the way in which we have dealt with your complaint when we have sent you our full response, you can ask that it be considered by a complaints sub group of the board or chair of the board who will investigate the complaint and make a written response within one month.

Where a complaint is in relation to services provided through funding from Inverclyde Health and Social Care Partnership the person complaining can contact their contract monitoring department at any stage.

The Manager shall ensure that recommendations resulting from the investigation are implemented and monitored to ensure they are effective.

Policy Reviewed 16.10.19

Skip to content